MMAJacked

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MMAJacked

MMAJacked Mixed Martial Arts Forum

5 posters

Why no super heavyweight class in ufc?

Sven61
    Sven61

Why no super heavyweight class in ufc? Empty Why no super heavyweight class in ufc?

Post  Sven61 Fri May 08, 2009 5:08 pm

One thing that's been bugging me for the longest time is the whole weight cutting deal. I don't think it's healthy and I'm sure that it has a negative impact on fighter's performances. I really wish there was an intelligent way around it. What really boggles my mind even more is the fact that someone like Lesnar is cutting 15 to 20 lbs to be able to fight heavyweight. Why not have a +265 and let all those grain-fed farm boys fight at their true weight?

Can anyone give me a compelling reason not to go this route? It's not like there aren't enough big boys around who like to fight...

Why no super heavyweight class in ufc? Empty Re: Why no super heavyweight class in ufc?

Post  ******* Fri May 08, 2009 6:11 pm

Sven61 wrote:One thing that's been bugging me for the longest time is the whole weight cutting deal. I don't think it's healthy and I'm sure that it has a negative impact on fighter's performances. I really wish there was an intelligent way around it. What really boggles my mind even more is the fact that someone like Lesnar is cutting 15 to 20 lbs to be able to fight heavyweight. Why not have a +265 and let all those grain-fed farm boys fight at their true weight?

Can anyone give me a compelling reason not to go this route? It's not like there aren't enough big boys around who like to fight...

If you want an arguement I cant give one cuz I totally agree : ) .. especially with Lesner and now talk of Shaq and others coming in... I dont think its fair for the heavy weights to have to fight the bigger heavier dudes with in some cases a huge reach advantage as well . Plus its hard for the bigger guys to have to cut the weight down so far .Some are just naturally big men and would probley have to go to a danger zone of starvation to do so ... of course its just my humble opinion...
    Sven61
    Sven61

Why no super heavyweight class in ufc? Empty Re: Why no super heavyweight class in ufc?

Post  Sven61 Fri May 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Hello there, Niecy!

Well, it's nice to know that I may not be totally off my rocker.

You know, it's more the dehydration aspect that scares me. You're too young to remember this but back in the late 80s / early 90s there were huge problems in the bodybuilding world with guys like Mohammed Benaziza dehydrating themselves literally to death... I got this really bad feeling watching Coleman in his fight vs Rua in Jamuary. I don't think it was simply a matter of poor conditioning that made him gas out so badly/quickly..

Anyway, nore to the point, Dana's a really smart guy. He must have a good reason why not to have a heavier weight class. Can anyone enlighten me?

Post  ******* Sat May 09, 2009 10:38 pm

Sven61 wrote:Hello there, Niecy!

Well, it's nice to know that I may not be totally off my rocker.

You know, it's more the dehydration aspect that scares me. You're too young to remember this but back in the late 80s / early 90s there were huge problems in the bodybuilding world with guys like Mohammed Benaziza dehydrating themselves literally to death... I got this really bad feeling watching Coleman in his fight vs Rua in Jamuary. I don't think it was simply a matter of poor conditioning that made him gas out so badly/quickly..

Anyway, nore to the point, Dana's a really smart guy. He must have a good reason why not to have a heavier weight class. Can anyone enlighten me?

OMG !!!! I'm speechless after the your too young to remember....lol.. ; ) thanks for making me smile

but you are right these guys do dehydrate as well as starve and so do the women .. then after weighins some binge which from what I hear can slow you down in the actually fight.... NOT healthy habits at all.
    sinceufc1

Post  sinceufc1 Sun May 10, 2009 8:46 pm

I am on the otherside of this argument. Most fighters drop huge amounts of weight to get in the weight class to win . i did it in high school as a wrestler and you always want to have an advantage. if Brock or Shane can make the weight then all is fair. the other smaller heavies need to cut more and fight light heavy. i remember when there was not weight divisions so i might be a lil bias.

Post  ******* Sun May 10, 2009 11:26 pm

sinceufc1 wrote:I am on the otherside of this argument. Most fighters drop huge amounts of weight to get in the weight class to win . i did it in high school as a wrestler and you always want to have an advantage. if Brock or Shane can make the weight then all is fair. the other smaller heavies need to cut more and fight light heavy. i remember when there was not weight divisions so i might be a lil bias.

if everyone agreed about everything life would be boring and there wouldnt be a need for forum discussions or divorce attorneys ; )
    Sven61
    Sven61

Post  Sven61 Mon May 11, 2009 5:09 pm

Hey there, Niecy,

Glad I made you smile! As for the speechless thing, I suspect that there are few things that would make you not able/willing to voice your opinion about anything that you feel strongly about.

sinceufc1, I can agree to disagree with your view but what about guys that are too big/heavy to get down below 265? That's where it would be good to have a superheavyeight class...What do you think?

Why no super heavyweight class in ufc? Empty danger danger danger

Post  ******* Mon May 11, 2009 7:56 pm

yeah I would hate to see these athletes go to a bad place when it comes down to weighin time and they dont feel like they are gonna make it so they take diaretics or cut water ect... I know alot of the fighters are totally focused and train hard to make the weight so yeah they should be very much commended for that ... I am just afraid that its gonna reach a danger point .. also in the ladies div. there should be another weight class...not all ladies can be one weight at any given moment .. we fluctuate some more than others its just mother nature. I also think it limits the amount of ladies that can go pro.

P.S yeah Sven I do have to watch my tongue a bit in this industry and try to be as nuetral as possible.. I do have my opinions but I also check both sides to every coin before making it. Alot of the time both sides of the coin are equally as valuable . : )
    Sven61
    Sven61

Post  Sven61 Tue May 12, 2009 4:25 pm

Iwas thinking a bit more about how arbitrary it is to have picked weight as a way of deciding who can fight who. Has anyone ever played with the thought of having height restrictions instead of weight? Yeah, it can seem unfair for a guys who weighs 205 to be poundin' on a 170 pounder but is it any more fair for someone who's 6'6" to be pummeling someone that's 5'8"? Just another way of looking at it...
    sinceufc1

Post  sinceufc1 Wed May 13, 2009 12:44 am

everyones points are valid. i think there is almost to many weight divisions it becomes like boxing and then you have guys jumping from weight to weight. Brock Lesner really got the debate going about the heavy weight divisionand if you made a super heavy who would he be fighting? it is hard enough to get quality heavys, coulture was never a really heavy and if Mir ever got into shape he could actually make lite heavy. i would be cool with 4 weight classes 145-169,170-195, 196-220, 221 and up. it would make the weigh in more real and maybe less un-healthy weight cuting but i doubt it..........lol

Why no super heavyweight class in ufc? Empty seriously though

Post  ******* Wed May 13, 2009 11:47 pm

What the heck are they gonna do with Shaq Oneal if he comes on board and wants to compete.? OMG the dude has reach longer than my legs ! Basketball
    Sven61
    Sven61

Post  Sven61 Sat May 23, 2009 3:01 am

Yeah, I'm afraid that Shaq is just going to have to fight on his knees...

Post  ******* Sun May 24, 2009 6:40 pm

Sven61 wrote:Yeah, I'm afraid that Shaq is just going to have to fight on his knees...

LMAO !!! He still has arms longer than most peoples legs... I can totally see him and Brock going at it though... what a spectacular visual spectacle that would be... affraid Basketball lol!
    Danzilla

Post  Danzilla Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:34 am

This 100 % on point , i'm naturally always going to be a little over 205 but i would get killed at heavy by somebody like brock ,bobby lashley,kimbo. They should continue to expand the weight classes like a 220 , 245,265+ . That would instantly increase popularity and the number of fighters invovled in the sport would go up at least 30% cheers
    DamageInc1971

Post  DamageInc1971 Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:49 am

I agree totally. With guys this size there needs to be a higher weight class, no doubt.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:35 am